Akash J. Patel, M.D.
Assistant Professor, Department of Neurosurgery
Research Focus: Brain Tumors, Neurosurgery, Malignant tumors, Metastasis
Dr. Patel is a neurosurgeon who specializes in the treatment of both malignant and benign tumors of the brain and skull base. His research focuses on determining the molecular underpinnings of inherited and sporadic forms of various brain tumors in an effort to develop targeted therapies to treat aggressive cases.
1) Tsuda H, Jafar-Nejad H, Patel AJ, Sun Y, Chen H.K, Rose M, Venken KJT, Botas J, Orr HT, Bellen HJ, Zoghbi HY. “The AXH domain in mammalian/Drosophila Ataxin-1 mediates neurodegeneration in Spinocerebellar Ataxia 1 through its interaction with Gfi-1/Senseless proteins.” Cell. 2005 Aug 25; 122(4): 633-644. [PMID: 16122429]
2) Lim J, Hao T, Shaw C, Patel AJ, Szabó G, Rual JF, Fisk J, Li N, Smolyar A, Hill DE, Vidal M, Zoghbi HY. “A protein-protein interaction network for human inherited ataxias and disorders of Purkinje cell degeneration.” Cell. 2006 May 19; 125(4): 801-814. [PMID: 16713569]
3) Patel AJ, Suki D., Hatiboglu MA, Abou-Assi H, Shi W, Lang F, Sawaya R. “Factors Influencing the Risk of Local Recurrence Following Resection of a Single Brain Metastasis.” J Neurosurg. 2010 Aug; 113(2): 181-9. [PMID: 20035574]
4) Patel AJ, Rao V, Fox BD, Suki D, Sawaya R, DeMonte F. “Radiation-induced Osteosarcomas of the Calvaria and Skull Base” Cancer. 2011 May 15; 117(10):2120-6 [PMID: 21117222]
5) Patel AJ, Gressot LV, Cherian J, Desai SK, Jea A. “Far Lateral Paracondylar versus Transcondylar Approach in the Pediatric Age Group: CT Morphometric Analysis.” J. Clin Neurosci. In Press.