Hyun Kyoung Lee, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor, Department of Pediatrics
Research Focus: Developmental gliogenesis and associated disorders; white matter injuries (PVL, HIE, MS), brain cancer (GBM), ischemic stroke.
In my laboratory, we plan to take an interdisciplinary approach to the study of neural development and eventually neurodegenerative disease. Glia play diverse roles in the functioning CNS and, consequently, are associated with numerous neurological disorders and malignancies. In spite of their vital role in CNS physiology and pathology, the molecular mechanisms that control their development and diversity remain poorly defined; accordingly, how these processes contribute to CNS pathology also remains undefined. Therefore, our studies focus on the identification of novel molecular signaling and regulatory pathway in glial cell development by manipulation both chick and mouse model systems and biochemical techniques combined with an array of complex CNS injury in vivo models. These studies will provide the foundation upon which we will translate developmentally relevant findings to demyelinating diseases and neurodegenerative disorders in an effort to develop therapeutic interventions.
1. Ding X, Jo J, Cristobal DC, Zuo Z, Wang CY, Wirianto M, Ye Q, Lindeke-Myers A, Choi JM, Mohila CA, Kawabe H, Jung SY, Bellen H, Yoo, SH, Lee HK. The Daam2-VHL-Nedd4 Axis Governs Developmental and Regenerative Oligodendrocyte Differentiation. Genes and Development. 2020 Sep 1;34(17):1177-1189. Selected for Cover image from Genes and Development.
2. Lopez-Silva TL, Cristobal DC, Lai CSE, Leyva-Aranda V, Lee HK*, Hartgerink JD*. Self-assembling Multidomain Peptide Hydrogels accelerate Peripheral Nerve Regeneration after Crush Injury. Biomaterials 2020 Sep 19;265:120401. *Co-corresponding authors
3. Zhu W, Garcia C, Lalitha S, Scott K, Mohila C, Creighton C, Yoo SH, Lee HK* and Deneen B*. Daam2 Driven Degradation of VHL Promotes Gliomagenesis. Elife. 2017 Oct 20:6. *Co-corresponding authors
4. Lee HK, Chaboub L, Zhu W, Zollinger D, Rasband M, Fancy S and Deneen B: Daam2-PIP5K is a novel regulatory pathway for Wnt signaling and therapeutic target for remyelination in the CNS. Neuron. 2015 Mar 18:85(6):1227-43. Highlighted on F1000
5. Kang P*, Lee HK*, Glasgow S, Finley M, Donti T, Garber ZB, Graham BH, Foster AE, Novitch BG, Gronostajski RM, Deneen B: Sox9 and NFIA coordinate a transcriptional regulatory cascade during the initiation of gliogenesis. Neuron. 2012 Apr:12;74(1):79-94. Highlighted on F1000
6. Lee HK and Deneen B: Daam2 is required for dorsal patterning via modulation of canonical Wnt signaling in the developing spinal cord. Developmental Cell. 2012 Jan 17;22(1):183-96. Highlighted on F1000
Complete List of Publications: