Hyun Kyoung Lee, Ph.D.
Associate Professor, Department of Pediatrics and Department of Neurology, Baylor College of Medicine
Principal Investigator, Jan and Dan Duncan Neurological Research Institute, Texas Children's Hospital
Cynthia and Anthony G. Petrello Endowed Scholar in Neurological Research, Texas Children's Hospital
Member, Dan L Duncan Comprehensive Cancer Center, Center for Drug Discovery
Research Focus: Developmental gliogenesis and associated disorders; white matter injuries (PVL, HIE, MS), brain cancer (GBM), ischemic stroke.
In my laboratory, we plan to take an interdisciplinary approach to the study of neural development and eventually, neurodegenerative diseases. Glia play diverse roles in the functioning CNS and, consequently, are associated with numerous neurological disorders and malignancies. In spite of their vital role in CNS physiology and pathology, the molecular mechanisms that control their development and diversity remain poorly defined; accordingly, how these processes contribute to CNS pathology also remains undefined. Therefore, our studies focus on the identification of novel molecular signaling and regulatory pathway in glial cell development using chick and mouse model systems and biochemical techniques combined with an array of complex CNS injury in vivo models. These studies will provide the foundation upon which we will translate developmentally relevant findings to demyelinating diseases, neurodegenerative disorders, and vascular-associated diseases in an effort to develop therapeutic interventions.
- Cristobal CD, Lee HK. Development of myelinating glia: An overview. Glia. 2022 Jul 4;. doi: 10.1002/glia.24238. PubMed PMID: 35785432; NIHMSID:NIHMS1819159.
- Cristobal CD*, Wang C*, Zuo Z, Smith J, Bellen H, Lee HK. Daam2 regulates myelin structure and the oligodendrocyte actin cytoskeleton through Rac1 and Gelsolin. J. Neurosci. 2022 Mar 2;42(9):1679-1691.
- Jo J, Woo JS, Cristobal CD, Wang C, Ye Q, Smith JA, Ung K, Liu G, Arenkiel BR, Lee HK. Daam2 modulates astrocyte morphology leads to neuronal activity and behaviors in normal and stroke condition. EMBO Rep. 2021 Oct 11;e53200. “Featured Cover image
- Cristobal CD, Ye Q, Jo J, Ding X, Lindeke-Myers A, Chen C, Lee HK. Daam2 couples translocation and clustering of Wnt receptor signalsomes through PIP5K and Rac1. J Cell Sci. 2021 Jan 25;134(2). “Featured Cover image”
- Lopez-Silva TL*, Cristobal CD*, Lai CSE, Leyva-Aranda V, Lee HK*, Hartgerink JD*. Self-assembling Multidomain Peptide Hydrogels accelerate Peripheral Nerve Regeneration after Crush Injury. Biomaterials. 2021 Jan 265:120401. (*Co-corresponding authors)
- Ding X, Jo J, Cristobal CD, Zuo Z, Wang CY, Wirianto M, Ye Q, Lindeke-Myers A, Choi JM, Mohila CA, Kawabe H, Jung SY, Bellen H, Yoo, SH, Lee HK. The Daam2-VHL-Nedd4 Axis Governs Developmental and Regenerative Oligodendrocyte Differentiation. Genes Dev. 2020 Sep 1;34(17):1177-1189. Cover image featured in Image of the Month in BCM's From the Labs blog.
- Zhu W, Krishna S, Garcia C, Lin CJ, Mitchell BD, Scott KL, Mohila CA, Creighton CJ, Yoo SH, Lee HK*, Deneen B*. Daam2 driven degradation of VHL promotes gliomagenesis. Elife. 2017 Oct 20;6. *Co-corresponding authors
Complete List of Publications: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/myncbi/hyun%20kyoung.lee.1/bibliography/public/