Hyun Kyoung Lee, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor, Department of Pediatrics
In my laboratory, we plan to take an interdisciplinary approach to the study of neural development and eventually neurodegenerative disease. Glia play diverse roles in the functioning CNS and, consequently, are associated with numerous neurological disorders and malignancies. In spite of their vital role in CNS physiology and pathology, the molecular mechanisms that control their development and diversity remain poorly defined; accordingly, how these processes contribute to CNS pathology also remains undefined. Therefore, our studies focus on the identification of novel molecular signaling and regulatory pathway in glial cell development by manipulation both chick and mouse model systems and biochemical techniques combined with an array of complex CNS injury models. These studies will provide the foundation upon which we will translate developmentally relevant findings to demyelinating diseases and neurodegenerative disorders in an effort to develop therapeutic interventions.
1. Lee HK, Chaboub L, Zhu W, Zollinger D, Rasband M, Fancy S and Deneen B: Daam2-PIP5K is a novel regulatory pathway for Wnt signaling and therapeutic target for remyelination in the CNS. Neuron. 2015 Mar 18:85(6):1227-43. Highlighted on F1000
2. Lee HK, Lang D, Zhu W, Deneen B: Apcdd1 promotes oligodendrocyte differentiation during development and remyelination. Glia. 2015 Oct;63(10):1840-9.
3. Lee HK and Deneen B: Daam2 is required for dorsal patterning via modulation of canonical Wnt signaling in the developing spinal cord. Developmental Cell. 2012 Jan 17;22(1):183-96. Highlighted on F1000
4. Kang P*, Lee HK*, Glasgow S, Finley M, Donti T, Garber ZB, Graham BH, Foster AE, Novitch BG, Gronostajski RM, Deneen B: Sox9 and NFIA coordinate a transcriptional regulatory cascade during the initiation of gliogenesis. Neuron. 2012 Apr:12;74(1):79-94. Highlighted on F1000
5. Jung JY*, Cai W*, Lee HK*, Pellegatta M, Shin YK, Jang SY, Suh DJ, Wrabets L, Feltri M.L Park HT: Actin polymerization is essential for myelin sheath fragmentation during Wallerian degeneration. J Neuroscience. 2011 Feb:9:31(6):2009-15. *Equal Contribution
6. Shin YK*, Jang SY*, Lee HK, Jung J, Suh DJ, Seo SY, Park HT: Pathological adaptive responses of Schwann cells to endoplasmic reticulum stress in bortezomib-induced peripheral neuropathy. Glia. 2010 Dec;58(16):1961-76.
7. Lee HK, Shin YK, Jung J, Seo SY, Baek SY, Park HT: Proteasome inhibition suppresses Schwann cell dedifferentiation in vitro and in vivo. Glia. 2009 Dec;57(16):1825-34.
8. Wang L, Lee HK, Seo IA, Shin YK, Lee KY, Park HT: Cell type-specific STAT3 activation by gp130-related cytokines in the peripheral nerves. Neuroreport. 2009 May 6;20(7):663-8.
For more publications, see http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=Hyun+Kyoung+Lee