Tiemo J. Klisch, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor, Dept. Molecular and Human Genetics, Baylor College of Medicine
Principal Investigator, Jan and Dan Duncan Neurological Research Institute
Member, Dan L. Duncan Comprehensive Cancer Center
Part of the International Meningioma Database
Research Focus: Meningioma, NF2, Brain Tumors, Developmental Neurobiology, Cancer Genomics
Brain tumors are a diverse group of neoplasms arising from different cells of the central nervous system. Although brain tumors account for only 2 percent of all cancers, these neoplasms result in a disproportionate share of cancer morbidity and mortality of 5.8 per 100,000 population (annual age-adjusted mortality rate in the US 2008-2012). My lab focuses on the causes and biological differences of adult meningioma.
Meningiomas account for almost 40% of all primary brain tumors with 2.5 times higher occurrence in women and African-Americans compared with men and other ethnicities. The total number of meningioma patients who fail treatment or experience uncontrolled local recurrence represent roughly two-thirds of all meningioma patients. Even benign meningiomas are lethal if located in an inaccessible region. Over the past decade, Dr. Patel’s and my lab have been first to discover the three true biological groups that give rise to meningioma, with one being exclusively responsible for the most aggressive type of meningioma. Our studies have been independently validated by multiple other laboratories, which has led to close collaborations throughout the world.
We are part of the International Meningioma Database and contribute as editors to BMC Cancer and Frontiers in Neuroscience.
For job opportunities and future collaboration, please do not hesitate to contact us.
- Labs of Sahm (DKFZ), Bi (Harvard Medical School), Klisch (BCM), Patel (BCM), Magill (Northwestern) and Raleigh (UCSF) (2023) Targeted gene expression profiling predicts meningioma outcomes and radiotherapy responses. Nature Medicine, accepted.
- Khan AB, English CW, Bayley V JC, Brandt VL, Shetty A, Hadley CC, Choudhury A, Lu HC, Harmanci AS, Harmanci AO, Magill ST, Raleigh DR, Klisch TJ, Patel AJ (2023) Even heterozygous loss of CDKN2A/B greatly accelerates recurrence in aggressive meningioma. Acta Neuropathologica. PMID: 36729132
- Khan AB, Patel R, McDonald MF, Goethe E, English C, Gadot R, Shetty A, Nouri SH, Harmanci AO, Harmanci AS, Klisch TJ, Patel AJ. (2023) Integrated clinical genomic analysis reveals xenobiotic metabolic genes are downregulated in meningiomas of current smokers. J Neurooncol. PMID: 37318677.
- Harmanci AO, Harmanci AS, Klisch TJ, Patel AJ (2022) XCVATR: Detection and Characterization of Variant Impact on the Embeddings of Single-Cell and Bulk RNA-Sequencing Samples. BMC genomics. PMID: 36539717
- Bayley V JC, Hadley CC, Harmanci AO, Harmanci AS, Klisch TJ, Patel AJ (2022) Multiple approaches converge on three biological subtypes of meningioma and provide a new lens for interpreting data. Science Advances. PMID: 35108039
- Jackson HN, Hadley CC, Khan AB, Gadot R, Bayley JC 5th, Shetty A, Mandel J, Jalali A, Gallagher KK, Sweeney AD, Harmanci AO, Harmanci AS, Klisch TJ, Gopinath SP, Rao G, Yoshor D, Patel AJ. (2022) Racial and Socioeconomic Disparities in Patients With Meningioma: A Retrospective Cohort Study. Neurosurgery. PMID: 34982878
- Gadot R, Khan AB, Patel R, Goethe E, Shetty A, Hadley CC, Harmanci AS, Klisch TJ, Yoshor D, Sheth SA, Patel AJ (2021) Predictors of postoperative seizure outcome in supratentorial meningioma. J Neurosurg. PMID: 35099915
- Khan AB, Gadot R, Shetty A, Bayley V JC, Hadley CC, Cardenas MF, Jalali A, Harmanci AS, Harmanci AO, Wheeler DA, Klisch TJ, Patel AJ (2020) Identification of novel fusion transcripts in meningioma. Journal of Neuro-Oncology. PMID: 32949309
- Zhang H, Qi L, Du Y, Huang LF, Braun FK, Kogiso M, Zhao Y, Li C, Lindsay H, Zhao S, Injac SG, Baxter PA, Su JM, Stephan C, Keller C, Heck KA, Harmanci A, Harmanci AO, Yang J, Klisch TJ, Li X-N, Patel AJ (2020) Patient-Derived Orthotopic Xenograft (PDOX) Mouse Models of Primary and Recurrent Meningioma. Cancers PMID: 32517016
- Patel AJ, Wan YW, Al-Ouran R, Revelli JP, Cardenas MF, Oneissi M, Xi L, Jalali A, Magnotti JF, Muzny DM, Doddapaneni HV, Sebastian S, Heck KA, Goodman JC, Gopinath SP, Liu Z, Rao G, Plon SE, Yoshor D, Wheeler DA, Zoghbi HY, Klisch TJ (2019) Molecular profiling predicts meningioma recurrence and reveals loss of DREAM complex repression in aggressive tumors. Proc Natl Acad Sci. PMID: 31591222